Surely you have wondered what are the best masks to protect yourself and your staff from the spread of COVID-19
In this article we present the main differences between 3-layer surgical mask and the cloth one.
Do you want to know which ones are better? Here we explain it to you. And, furthermore, we will reason why the Masks Béjar They are the best option on the market for your company.
Your safety and that of your staff cannot be left to chance. Know and compare before making any decision. At Mascarillas Béjar we work to offer you the best possible protection at the lowest cost.
3-layer surgical mask
It has proven to be the best (and most accessible) option for preventing the spread of the COVID-19 coronavirus.
To make the information more digestible, we have prepared a list with its main characteristics:
- Does not release particles
- Resists moisture from respiratory air flow
- Contains no latex, fiberglass, toxic or irritating substances
- Filters up to 99,7% of bacteria in the air
- Its elastic fastening straps are comfortable and resistant
- They are disposable
- They have a 53 gram TNT filter
- They are effective for eight hours of continuous use
- They have a shelf life of three years from the date of manufacture (properly stored)
It is important to clarify that the effectiveness of any mask depends mainly on two factors:
- Correct use and care in handling
Companies that 3-layer surgical masks from Mascarillas Béjar They comply with all the requirements of the UNE.EN14683: 2019 + AC standard. They also have the Aitex certificate, issued by the Textile Technology Institute.
Functions of the layers of the mask
Why do the most effective surgical masks have three layers? For a better understanding, below we will explain what the function of these layers is and certain details to pay attention to.
It is important to note that not all masks on the market are of the same quality. For this reason, it is extremely important that you learn to identify quality masks. for not put your health at risk.
Learn about the five main elements of our masks and their function:
- Outer layer: Its technical name is spunbond and It is made of 25 gram polypropylene. Protects the filter from the outside.
- Middle layer: Its technical name is spunlace and cIt consists of a powerful 53 gram TNT filter. Most surgical masks on the market use a 20 gram white filter. With a 53 gram TNT filter, we have achieved a filtration of up to 99,7% of germs and dust.
- Inner layer: Made of 25 gram white polypropylene. Avoid skin contact with the 53 gram TNT filter.
- Wire: Its technical name is plastic spooled and It has a Cal. 24 plastic cover. Its flexibility allows you to adjust the masks more comfortably and efficiently to your nose, thus avoiding spaces that may represent a risk to your health.
- Elastic: Its technical name is Lycra and it is made with cotton-lycra fabric. Holds the mask and keeps it fixed on your face. Thanks to its elasticity and softness, it allows you to use the masks for a longer time without causing pain or discomfort.
Is the efficiency of this mask comparable to a fabric mask?
With so much information available everywhere, it's easy to get lost and not know who or what sources to trust. Let's look at the behavior of COVID-19 in the air and on surfaces to better understand why some masks work more than others.
One of the most direct ways of spreading COVID-19 is through droplets from the nose or mouth: when we speak or cough, our body expels these droplets, which fall on the surfaces and objects that surround us.
According to the World Health Organization, the COVID-19 virus can live up to 72 hours on some surfaces:
- Cardboard: less than 24 hours.
- Copper: less than 4 hours.
- Plastic and stainless steel: up to 72 hours.
This means that if we touch our nose or mouth after having had contact with an infected surface, we can contract COVID-19. 3-layer surgical masks do double duty: protect yourself and protect others.
"Using a surgical mask I protect you [...] it is an act of solidarity" - Carmen Tejero #Nosinmimascarilla
In case someone in your work team is a carrier, the mask will prevent their droplets of saliva from falling on objects and surfaces, thus avoiding contagions and the spread of the virus. In the same way, it serves as a barrier between your hands and your mouth.
Touching your face with your bare hands is practically inevitable. According to a study edited by the Liverpool Hope University, we touch our faces up to twenty-three times an hour. Today we know that to stop the virus we have three tools:
- Strict hand hygiene
- The use of masks
Various tutorials are encouraging the use of homemade masks and the use of cloth masks. However, these require certain sterilization and care processes to reduce the aforementioned risks, thus increasing their cost.
Either way, Cloth masks are not as effective as the three-layer mask in preventing infections. In fact, they could backfire by promoting the spread of the COVID-19 virus.
The surgical mask is of higher quality
As its name suggests, the operating room mask is the one used by Health personnel in operating rooms. After discovering the behavior of the COVID-19 virus in the environment, the use of masks was proposed to prevent infections.
Currently, there are three mask options on the market available to the population:
- FFP2 and FFP3 masks (or their equivalent N95, NK95 and KF94)
- Operating room masks
- Cloth masks
The first, FFP2 and FFP3, have in their favor that they are very effective in filtering the air. In terms of COVID-19, they have the same benefits as surgical ones; however, they are more expensive and their material makes them uncomfortable and heavy. This makes them more prone to constant readjustment and manipulation.
Thanks to The surgical masks are made with a much lighter material, they are more comfortable than the previous ones. Its intermediate filter prevents the access of up to 99,7% of germs and bacteria. Finally, its cost is lower than that of the FFP2 and FFP3 masks.
To ensure the proper functioning of the 3-layer surgical mask, we have the following recommendations for you:
- Wash your hands with soap or sanitizer gel before and after handling them
- Check your mask to verify that it is in good condition, always holding it by the elastics
- Place the mask on your face, paying special attention to covering your mouth and nose
- Adjust the wire over your nose by pressing gently with your fingers
- To remove, take it from the elastics and remove with special care to avoid that it touches your clothes or that the outer part touches your face
- Discard and replace your mask every 6-8 hours
- Replace it if it gets damp or wet
- Dispose of it in special containers to avoid contagion
Cloth masks are not hygienic enough
We consult the European Center for Disease Prevention and Control compared to cloth masks. According to a technical report published on March 26, 2020, cloth masks against COVID-19:
They do not offer the same protection to prevent the spread of the COVID-19 coronavirus.
It is even likely that they increase the probability of infection by:
- Diffusion of liquids
- Retention of the virus
- Particles can penetrate the fabric by 40-90%
- A study revealed that there is a higher incidence of cases of influenza and similar illnesses in workers who used cloth masks
At Mascarillas Béjar we are working to achieve a production of more than 140.000 surgical masks per day.
Operating room masks have been shown to be more effective than cloth options in preventing the spread of the covid-19 coronavirus.
Benefits of the 3-layer surgical mask
Many companies have faced the difficult decision to cease their activities and disappear or continue with their work increasing security measures. When confinement is not an option, the operating room mask is one of the best preventive measures.
They are much cheaper than FFP2 and FFP3 and much more effective than cloth masks. When used correctly, They allow companies to continue operating without compromising the health of their employees.
Cloth masks require special disinfection processes that, in the long run, make them less affordable. At Mascarillas Béjar we are increasing our production capacity to offer:
- Surgical masks at the best price
- Reduced delivery times
- Stock available at all times
Give your staff the best protective equipment so they can continue with their activities without putting their health at risk. We know that the security of your company is the most important thing for you.
At Mascarillas Béjar we want to help your company maintain its productivity.
- Your company needs measures that maintain its productivity and, at the same time, keep your staff safe
- The best way to protect your workers from the risk of contagion of the COVID-19 coronavirus is with the use of 3-layer surgical masks
- The 53 gram TNT filter in our 3-layer surgical masks prevents the passage of up to 99,7% of germs and dust
- Three-layer masks are much cheaper than FFP2 and FFP3 masks. They also require less care than fabric masks.
- Visit our website to learn more about our masks, general recommendations and news
It may interest you